Saturday 12 November 2011

Kopi Luwak - World's Most Expensive Coffee made of Poop!

Coffee Berries
Before I left for my trip to Bali, one of my friends told me that it is a MUST for me to try out the world's most expensive coffee which could only be found in the Indonesia island. This coffee is called Kopi Luwak and its not so glamourous name is Kopi Tahi Musang (translated to English: Civet Poop's Coffee). Yes, you read it correctly! Kopi Luwak is made from the beans of coffee berries which have been eaten by the Asian Palm Civet (Paradoxurus) which then passed through its digestive tract. The locals call these civet as Luwak, and thus the name of Kopi Luwak.   

Luwak

The Luwak eats the berries for their fleshy pulp. In its stomach for about a day and a half, the beans are defecated in clumps, having kept their shape and still covered with some of the fleshy berry's inner layers. They are gathered, thoroughly washed, sun dried and given only a light roast so as to keep the many intertwined flavors intact. These bean yield an aromatic coffee with much less bitterness.

 

I couldn't find the courage to take a sip as the thought of drinking something made out of a civet's poop just kept lingering in my mind. But the strong aroma of freshly roasted beans ultimately made me succumbed to my love for coffee, and I took my first sip of the poop's coffee! Unlike the usual coffee, this doesn't taste bitter at all, and I could drink it without adding sugar into it. I bought a pack of this Kopi Luwak and it was indeed the highest price I have ever paid for a pack of coffee powder. But it is definitely worth the money!
Aromatic roasted coffee beans

World's most expensive cuppa coffee


No comments:

Post a Comment